IVC men’s soccer team edged by Santa Ana in the closing seconds

Evan Da Silva
Abraham Montano (25) of IVC works his way around a Santa Ana defender in the second half of Friday's 2-1 loss.  (Evan Da Silva )

Abraham Montano (25) of IVC works his way around a Santa Ana defender in the second half of Friday’s 2-1 loss. (Evan Da Silva )

The Irvine Valley Lasers Men’s Soccer team, now (4-7-2 overall) and (1-5-0 in conference), lost a heartbreaker in the final minutes of last Friday’s game to the Santa Ana Dons, now (8-3-2 overall) and (5-1-0 in conference). Poor passing, lack of possession in the first half, and numerous missed opportunities in the second half, ultimately led to IVC’s 2-1 downfall, who has now lost two matches in a row.

“The team is working hard and the fundamentals of the game are to pass, and be able to receive a pass from a teammate. About 80 percent of the game in possession is passing, the other 20 percent is either shooting or dribbling. We are a good passing team and generally technically sound. We are good at getting behind teams and have created many scoring chances, unfortunately, we have hit the post, crossbar, goalkeeper, or missed the target!” Coach McGrogan said via email.

The Dons dominated possession of the ball in the first half. Their speed on offense and pinpoint passing led to multiple scoring chances and they eventually found the goal in the eighth minute courtesy of Ivan Orozco. Orozco was passed to by teammate Damian Marquez, and after his first shot was rebounded off IVC goalkeeper Wilbur Olivera, put the ball in the net.

Alex Cannis (6) of IVC helps up fellow teammate Adriel Trejo (22) after he was injured in the later minutes of the game.  (Evan Da Silva )

Alex Cannis (6) of IVC helps up fellow teammate Adriel Trejo (22) after he was injured in the later minutes of the game. (Evan Da Silva )

One of IVC’s few offensive opportunities of the half was turned down in the 15th minute, when Alex Cannas took a shot on Santa Ana goalie Jose Garcia, who knocked the ball away. Cannas would be IVC’s most active player on offense throughout the game, earning an assist and creating multiple scoring opportunities that never found the net.

The Dons led the Lasers 1-0 after the end of the first half.

IVC came out a completely different team when the whistle blew ushering in the beginning of the second half, but would find themselves on the end of some extremely unlucky breaks, especially on offense.

In the 68th minute Cannas took a shot on goal, heading a ball off a corner kick that was once again met by the quick Santa Ana goalkeeper, Jose Garcia. Not long after in the 70th minute Abraham Manato of IVC rocketed a rebounded ball far over Santa Ana’s goal. A ball with a little more touch rather than power would have easily found net against the out of position Garcia.

After missed chance after another, the Lasers found their scoring stride netting a ball courtesy of a wide shot by Cannas that would be put in by Joe Rousseau in the 75th minute.

This combo would almost repeat their success minutes later with Cannas having his shot rebounded off of Santa Ana’s Garcia towards Rousseau who would launch the ball well over his intended target. Again, IVC opted for power rather than touch and it would cost them mightily later in the match.

Finally, in the 84th minute Santa Ana dealt the crushing blow to IVC’s hopes as Damian Marquez would gather a loose ball off of a Santa Ana corner kick and squeak it by the Laser’s goalkeeper, Wilbur Olivera.

What hurts the most about this goal is that it would be Santa Ana’s only shot for the entire second half.

“As the game progresses and we have not scored we have gotten a little tight and given up some poor goals from our point of view. So our message is keep working hard and trying to help your teammates and things will turn around!” McGrogan said, again via email.

IVC finds themselves needing to regroup as they play Tuesday at 3 p.m. at Norco.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments

comments