A sea of winter hats and tops of heads at the “We Are One” concert. (Kayla Roth)
Kayla Roth, a Lariat contributor and correspondent, is in Washington D.C. to attend the inauguration of the 44th president of the United States. This historic event of the swearing in of America’s first black president occurs only one day after the national celebration of the life and work of Martin Luther King Jr.
Via the micro-blog social network, Twitter, she will send updates throughout the event and the Lariat will follow and post comments of citizen journalists, a select few of the estimated two million people lining the parade route and the national Mall to watch this celebratory event.
This page will be a new theme for lariatnews.com as we move into more of a blog format for this article.
Her messages will be chronological with the newest at the time. Some will be time stamped. Please note that time shown represents Pacific Standard Time.
2:00 p.m.: Kayla’s Facebook photo gallery, taken at the “We Are One” concert at the Lincoln Memorial: http://tinyurl.com/kaylawer1.On Jan. 18, President-elect Barack Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden, shared the stage with entertainers U2, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce and will.i.am.
(Tweets from Kayla)
- 10:24 a.m.: STUCK IN A CROWD. Where is crowd control?
- 10:02 a.m.: Still amazed at the organized chaos.
- 9:51 a.m.: Everyone is waving flags and cheering. Air of goodwill still here.
9:30 a.m. –
Other “tweets” from Washington (click links to visit referenced URL):
Full text – Obama’s Inaugural Address – http://tinyurl.com/7buosk
Obama: “What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility – a recognition, on the part of every American.” (9:28 a.m.)
RT @inaugurationday: Obama: We are ready to lead once more. Ground almost shakes w/ thunder of applause. #inaug09 (9:26 a.m.)
“…embody the spirit of service…”
Obama: Terrorists, our spirit is not broken. We will out last you and defeat you. (9:21 a.m.)
Cheney arrives for inauguration in wheelchair – The Associated Press http://bit.ly/NB6h
- 9:10 a.m.: Obama is president!
- 9:03 a.m.: Composition written by John Williams being performed.
- 9:00 a.m.: Sen. Barack Obama is now officially the 44th president of the U.S.
- 8:53 a.m.: Dr. Rick Warren is giving the opening prayer
- 8:40 a.m.: President Bush is here. People are booing.
- 8:30 a.m.: CNN announcing “they are a little behind…”
- 8:35 a.m.: Everyone is singing, “Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye”
- 8:20 a.m.: Former VP Al Gore here
- 8:15 a.m.: Supreme Court justices arriving
Here we go… beginning 8:00 a.m. PST.
- Please be seated…lol oookay sure. 2 minutes ago from txt
- Presentation of flags and colors. 3 minutes ago from txt
- Obama is here!! 12 minutes ago from txt
- Senate coming out now. 32 minutes ago from txt
- Members of House of Reps out, followed by state govs. about 1 hour ago from txt
- Dustin Hoffman is here! about 1 hour ago from txt
- US Presidential Marine Corp Band now playing. about 1 hour ago from txt
- Muhammed Ali is here. about 1 hour ago from txt
- It starts! San Francisco boys and girls choir now singing. about 1 hour ago from txt
- Sun is coming out! about 2 hours ago from txt
- They’re replaying the We Are One concert on the jumbotron. about 3 hours ago from txt
- Finally at the National Mall! Sooo many people! about 4 hours ago from txt
- Redirected to 12th. The concert was better organized. about 4 hours ago from txt
4:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. PST:
- Humvees and cop cars driving through crowds of people? Are you SERIOUS??
- 7th street entrance now not opening. Are they nuts?!
- We’re in a very long line. Really hoping it’s for the Inauguration.
- They’re directing us to 7th Street because we don’t have tickets.
- I see the Capitol! about 6 hours ago from txt
- At L’Enfant Plaza! Cops, street vendors, and LOTS of people!